Thursday, April 29, 2010

Parenting Challenges

So when I found out I was pregnant in Sept. 2008 I freaked because I've always had this plan to be THE PERFECT parent and I thought I would need to read every 'how to' book on how to properly raise children prior to having one. So the first thing I started doing was reading, I had my mom send all her pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding 'how to' books to me and when I was done reading those I went to the library. I became a regular at the library reading every book I could get my hands on, I even rented books on cd so I could listen to them while I was driving. I watched all the pregancy and baby stories on TLC. I went to La Leche League meetings. I read baby magazines and parenting blogs. I learned a lot, but nothing I read could've ever prepared me for the day (middle of the night) I gave birth to Raegan.

I've managed to find some time to read since Raegan has been born. I've read a couple of books like Baby Wise I and II and Grace Based Parenting along with lots of magazine articles and parenting blogs. I am such a planner, I've asked Philip what he thinks about different disciplining ideas and even what age we're going to let Raegan start dating! I want to have all the answers before the questions arise. Anyways, as part of our bedtime routine I always give Raegan her baths. This week she decided to challenge me. She decided she wanted to stand up in the tub. Which as a well informed parent I know is very dangerous as she could slip and fall, but how should I make her sit down? The solution just came to me, it wasn't something I'd ever read or anything anyone had told me, I just figured it out on my own. Everytime she stood up I just turned the water off and said "sit down Raegan" in a calm but serious voice and she would sit back down. I was so proud of myself for figuring this out without having to fight with her, forcing her to sit down, and without any crying. I hope that this happens with all future parenting challenges I face! = )

She loves bath time so much! This is her kissing the bottom of her tub goodbye after I drained the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment