Saturday, May 22, 2010

Massages

Massages - Random topic? well apparently not for me...

Yesterday I went and got one of the massages that Philip gave me as a Mother's Day gift. The form I filled out before the massage got started has the following question:

Have you ever received a massage before?
If yes when?________ From who?_________

So my answer is Yes, but there wasn't enough space for me to fill in every massage I've had and when. My solution was to just write in when my last massage was and then just write three places where I've had massages. When the massage therapist lead me back to the massage room we talked over the items on my form and she said "so I see you've had a lot of massages." I didn't know how to respond, is that a bad thing? Did she say a lot? I only wrote three on there. Then I started thinking of all the massages I have had and wonder if maybe I'm obsessed with massages? hmmm.... could this be an addiction?

I guess the first massages I really remember were when my sister and I would take turns giving each other back massages before we went to bed. We did this for years and still do when we visit each other. I remember when we were younger I would make her do mine first and then I would pretend to be asleep so that I wouldn't have to do hers. After about 10 times of this she figured it out and then I had to be the one to do hers first. Sorry Jen, love you!

I think Philip gave me a gift certificate to an Aveda salon in Waco, TX where I has my first professional massage. I loved it. This was during the time I was having frequent ulcerative colitis flareups and was really sick. The therapist was great, she used peppermint oil and techniques specific to help my condition. My mom wanted me to continue getting better so she continued to pay for me to go to this massage therapist once a month for awhile.

Then there was this time I found a Scandinavian girl who was in Waco staying with her fiance who was finishing his graduate degree. She had taken massage classes as her study back home and was offering very reasonable massages at their small house by campus. Her table was thin and on skinny stilts, kinda wobbly, but for the price it was worth it.

After we got married I was studying for the CPA exam pretty much 24/7. I saw a flier one day that said $25 massages at the community college there in Waco. I figured hey why not, I deserve one. This was interesting and much different than any other massage. First off there was just one large room with lots of massage tables only separated by curtains, so I could hear conversations other people were having, it was weird. Also the girl giving me a massage didn't have strong hands so I could feel her trying to push down with her body instead of using hand muscles, it was bad. I had to fill out an evaluation form for her when we were done, which I was quite honest on.

Then I don't remember getting another massage until we got to Oklahoma City, OK; which means I was probably pregnant and didn't know it. I went to Family Therapuetic massage in South OKC (not too far from where we were living at the time). I don't remember much about the massage, more just that I scheduled it for noon on a Saturday, not knowing that was the time the tornado siren tests occurred. Good thing they only lasted a minute.

Oh and then there was this sketchy place I got a massage at in downtown Moore. Achilles Healing Massage and Day SpaAddress:, I think. By this time I knew I was pregnant with Raegan. Anyways I think I had a coupon for it to only be like $40 for an hour massage. That day there happened to be a homecoming parade on the street right in front of the massage place and I could hear the cheering, drumming, etc... the entire time I got my massage. On the plus side she didn't even charge me $40.

I didn't get another massage until my third trimester, when carrying all that extra weight (all 50 lbs of it) just got to be really hard on my body. Philip called a woman who specializes in prenatal massages. She brought her table to my home and I got a massage right there in my bedroom, while Philip waited patiently in the living room. When you're that pregnant, you just lay on your side, not your belly. After this massage I just went and crawled in bed!

This same woman gave me a massage before we left the hospital on Wednesday after I had Raegan at 3am Tuesday. My mom watched Raegan for those 30 minutes in the hospital.

Gosh how many am I at...8 at least... anyways...

For my first Mother's Day, Philip got me a gift certificate for a massage and facial at LeVisage in Norman. When I called they only had a man available to do a massage at the time I wanted. I had never had a man give me a professional massage yet, but the lady on the phone assured me that he was the owner of the salon and the very best so I agreed. Bad mistake, it was the worst massage I've had ever and probably the most expensive. He was too strong and it didn't feel good.

Then my mom turned me on to the idea of trying a massage at Massage Envy when she and I went to get massages together there when Raegan was about 5 months old. This place was reasonable and I got a great massage. One pro is the therapist carry lotions in this little belt thing they have so they don't have to stop and go get it off the counter every time. One con is all there lotions are non perfume/non scented which makes for a kinda boring experience.

I went back to Massage Envy after one of my busy seasons was over in Feb. 2010 on a rainy Sunday while Philip watched Raegan. This place is very reasonably priced. As long as you haven't had a massage there in the last 6 months then your massage is only $39 + tip. This becomes a problem when you want more than one massage every 6 months. (It must be an addiction, am I the only one?)

Recently I even opted for one of those chair massages in the mall, yes seriously. I always look at those people and think how can they possibly relax with all these people walking by and watching them. But Philip suggested I try it, so on a week day when not many people were at the mall I did. My face was looking down so I didn't even think about people being able to see me. It was noisy, but the massage was surprisingly really good. I think I only did a 30 minute one, but it wasn't bad at all.

So that was my last massage before the one I had yesterday which was wonderful. The Aveda salon uses great oils and warm towels and the therapists seem much more professional. I plan on going back to this place very soon!

PS- Did you know 'touch' is one of the five love languages?http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
Philip and I read that book before we got married.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think u get too many massages. I think its normal to have one a month. My newest fetish is a spa pedicure with a sugar scrub leg massage...you would love it! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete