Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cameron's Birth Story - with details


I went to my last doctor's appointment on Monday November 12th with Dr. Cherry.  I was dilated to a 4 and the doctor told me a couple of suggestions to get the baby to come.  Such as these suggestions.  My mom was planning on coming in town on Friday so my plan was to wait till Thursday evening to try these suggestions.  We also were planning on going to see Michael Jr. (comedian) perform at our church on Thursday evening (Nov. 15th).  Thursday morning I took Raegan to a La Leche League meeting in Norman, as it had been awhile since we had been to one and she didn't fully understand how the baby would drink my milk. After the meeting Raegan and I met up with my friend, Laura, her son, Mason and her niece Ellie for lunch and to play at the park.  Laura is also pregnant and due in February.  I told her I wanted to go into labor that night or early Friday morning and she was like well lets do squats, I told her no way I didn't want to have him in the park, plus then I'd miss out on Michael Jr., lol!

Philip met us up at the park, which was great because he brought me a water and pushed Ellie and Raegan on the swings while Laura and I kept an eye on Mason.  That evening we got Raegan ready for bed and in her pajamas before heading to church to see Michael Jr. At the event we had popcorn, hot cocoa, lots of candy, and LOTS of laughs!  As soon as we got home Philip moved Raegan from the carseat to the stroller and even though it was after 10pm and very dark, we went for a walk (one of the suggestions to start labor).  We walked for at least 25 minutes around our neighborhood, before deciding it was getting too cold for Raegan to be outside. 

Around 2am I woke up with contractions.  This had happened before and then they had subsided, so I wasn't sure it was the real deal.  I got out of bed and walked around the house mainly in the kitchen since there was a clock in there.  I was really hoping my water would break so that I would know for sure it was time.  My contractions were strong but not very consistent.  Sometimes they were 2 minutes apart but other times they were like 6 minutes apart.  At 3 o'clock I decided to wake up Philip and let him know it may be time.  He started rushing around like I knew he would.  Luckily all our bags were already packed and in my car.  I was kinda thinking we might could wait till 6:30am so that we could just drop off Raegan at school, but Philip knew better and went across the street and knocked on our neighbors door at 3:30am to drop off Raegan.  I called my mom who was staying the night in Amarillo to let her know we were going to the hospital. 

Philip was a horrible driver on the way to the hospital, he went through multiple yellow/turning red lights and I was upset and told him he was the worst driver ever and that we'd be lucky if we made it to the hospital.  He found a parking spot at the hospital and we walked with a pause or two for contractions to the front door of the hospital.  Since it was 3:30am the front doors were locked and Philip had to press this intercom button, he told them his wife was ready to have a baby and they asked if we had been sent over from the ER, he said no we always just go this way up the stairs to labor and delivery.  "Always" as if we do this all the time... : )

We got upstairs and Philip went down the wrong hallway to a nurse station and said "we're ready to have a baby" she said "wrong place" go back through...yada yada.. .I was upset that Philip led us the wrong way and walking was getting more difficult for me.  We walked past the room I delivered Raegan in and made it to the right nurses station.  They said "can we help you", Philip just said "we're ready to have a baby".  I'm not sure any of them believed us. The gave us a sheet of paper to fill out which I started but then let Philip finish.  One of the nurses made the comment that I wasn't screaming but I wasn't smiling either.  We went into triage, where I put on a hospital gown and was told to pee in a cup, I accidentally dropped the cup in the toilet and had to have Philip get me a new one! They put me on a monitor to track my contractions and then checked me. She asked me how my pain was on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the worst and I told her maybe a 6.  It was then 4am and I was dilated to a 5, so the nurse told me they would admit me then went out to the hallway and told the other nurses "she's a 5."  We gathered our stuff, well Philip gathered my stuff and we walked slowly down the hallway to the corner suite. They hooked up more monitors and I asked if I would still be able to get up and walk around if I needed to and Philip told them we would need the birthing ball and squat bar like we had last time.  I think they thought we were nuts. The nurse who was in triage with me was about to leave as her shift was almost over so nurse Alice came in.  She was a large, elderly woman with graying hair, I wasn't so sure I wanted her to be my nurse.  She gave me an IV ( I hate those things!) and then checked me again. It was 4:30am and she said I was at a 7 to 8, that brought a HUGE smile to my face, I couldn't believe just a short walk down the hallway and 30 minutes had brought me that far already!  The contractions were very strong but not as painful as when I was in labor with Raegan.  Alice pulled out the stirrups for my feet and said, "you're going to have this baby this morning before breakfast" I was like seriously this is nuts! It was pretty obvious that Alice had been at quite a few births and knew what to do, she didn't leave my side except for to get me some ice chips to munch on.  Then she did something I really, really didn't like.  She decided to check me WHILE I was having a contraction! AHHH! I said get your fingers out of there! She then said I was at a 9 during the contraction, I was pretty mad at this point and this news didn't bring the same kind of smile that the 7-8 one did.  I felt like she was rushing and I just wanted to take a break.

I labored for a little longer and then Dr. Cherry came in to tell us that he was there and headed to make rounds and to let us know if we needed him.  He turned to head out of the room, but then Alice said do you want to break her water, that's the only thing holding this baby in there.  So he broke my water and I felt relieved for a second, he walked out the door and then in pain I screamed, "He's coming!" Alice started pushing the emergency button on my hospital bed and when I opened my eyes my legs were up on the stirrups the baby nurse was getting things ready for the baby in the corner of the room another nurse was in there, Dr Cherry was there, there were bright overhead lights on and they were telling me to push, not the lights, but somebody was.  I was pushing but still trying to breathe like through a contraction. Alice was patient and told me to take a deep breath and then bear down and hold it.  Then they said hold it for 10 seconds, I remember yelling out "then count!" I was in far too much pain to be counting to 10. Oh and I got so hot, I was yelling for a fan, Philip grabbed the next best thing a magazine and started fanning me off.  During each contraction I'd try to sit up so it didn't hurt as bad.  Alice told me the baby didn't like me sitting on his head and I told her I didn't care what the baby liked. There was lots of screaming (Alice told me "honey I don't need the noise just push") and I may have hit nurse Alice a couple of times during those painful pushes... Dr. Cherry took extra care to make sure I didn't tear and with a couple more pushes he was born at 5:33am. He weighed 8lbs 9 ounces, was 21 inches long and his head was 14inches around.

Dr. Cherry lifted him up and said whats this little boy's name and Philip without hesitation said, "Truett Tyler" I smiled, thanked nurse Alice and apologized to her, and tried to breathe normally while they placed his little warm purple body on my chest.  Moments later, (apparently after Philip had already texted some family and friends with the baby's measurements and name) I was staring at my precious little boy and told Philip we could name him Cameron Tyler, which is the name Philip had wanted all along.  Sorry for any identity crisis we may have caused Cameron!

My mom arrived soon afterwards and then Philip went and picked up Raegan so she could come see her liitle brother. 

We are so thankful for our perfect little boy and I'm so thankful labor didn't last long. 





No comments:

Post a Comment