Sunday, May 11, 2014

Let the little children come to me

Perhaps one of my proudest mom moments to-date occurred today in Raegan's Sunday School class.  There was a new little girl in Raegan's class who was not happy to be there, AT ALL; we are talking crossed arms, pouty face, silent treatment from a 5 year old, mad.  

After playtime and story time, I tried talking to her about her feelings and then I asked her to find a seat at the craft table.  She sat next to Raegan.  She was obviously still unhappy while the other children were coloring and sewing with green yarn on their craft.  I asked her if she missed her parents and she stopped crying and shook her head yes.  I explained that they would come back for her in a little while and asked if she knew why they had brought her there.  She shook her head "no."  I explained that they brought her to Sunday school to learn about Jesus and then asked her, "do you know who Jesus is?" She said, "no." 

That's when Raegan piped in and said in the most concerned voice, "mom, she doesn't know Jesus? Why doesn't she know who Jesus is?"  Then Raegan and I had a little conversation right there in front of our new unhappy friend but it was almost like a side conversation in a play that the third party isn't suppose to hear.  It went something like this:
Me: well some people don't know Jesus and we are suppose to tell them about Jesus and what He did for us so they can be happy. 
Raegan: "so God wants me to tell her about Jesus?"
Me: yes!

Raegan to our unhappy friend: "did you know Jesus had nails in his hands?"
Unhappy friend listens but then shakes her head no.
Raegan: "yep, real ones" pointing to her palms on each hand

Me: yes and He died for all of us

Raegan: "and when I get a booboo we pray to Jesus and He makes it all better"

Unhappy friend seems interested yet understandably confused as all get out (my dad always uses that phrase ('all get out')).  

Anyways Raegan waited with our unhappy friend to finish snack before heading out to play and she prayed for her in her prayers tonight, "God help her to know You." 

Wow! Lord, thank you for using my daughter to witness to others and as a constant reminder to me of your goodness! Let our prayer be to help us to know You more!




No comments:

Post a Comment