Friday, August 20, 2010

Indulgence

This morning I used up the last bit of my Mother's Day gift card to heaven... I mean the Aveda Ihloff Salon and Spa, which if heaven is anything like, then I'm ready.

When I get there Katie (my facial guru) pours me a glass of ice water, which has a refreshing taste of cucumber from the fresh slices floating in it, ahhh. She takes me back, and we make small talk as I soak my tired feet in a warm water tub with lots of bubbles. She asks how my day is going as she uses a brown sugar scrub on my feet and lower legs. Then she gently lifts my feet out of the water and pats them dry with a soft towel and places them into spa slippers.

It gets better...

We enter the next room, which is darker with walls painted a calming grayish almost purple color and a dim light above with a cover that looks like pressed leaves inside of glass. All I hear is the sound of ocean waves. She leaves so that I can get undressed, put the white spa robe, and get under the light weight covers. When she returns she places a cylinder pillow under my knees to give my back better support. While she was gone she selected 3 scented oils that she thought would be good for my facial. I close my eyes as she places one finger on my forehead and waves the scent in front of my nose. I take a deep breathe in and smell a sweet but strong citrus scent, then she places her finger back on my forehead, I take another deep breathe in and smell number 2 a sweet soft maybe lavender scent, one more time for number 3 which I thought had a more manly smell maybe sandalwood. She never tells me the mix of what scents are in each oil. I tell her its between 1 and 2 and after repeating the process for those two oils, I select number 1; I like it.


She begins by gently moving my hair out of the way and wrapping it in a towel. She then waves the scent over my face again and then presses her hands down on each edge of my cheeks/ears, this calms me instantly. She then wraps my face with a warm towel leaving an open space for my nose and mouth so I can breath. She gently removes the towel wiping off any dirt or makeup that may be on my face and uses soft cotton pads and eye makeup remover to wipe across my eyes. She places eye pads over my eye lids as she turns on a bright lamp to get a better look at my skin. She examines my face and tells me things I like to hear like the problems I think are huge are not that bad. Then she tells me the plan, turns off the bright lamp, and uses a paint brush to paint a cool exfoliation cream on my face and neck. I love that feeling, I used to love getting my face painted not for how it looked but for how it felt when someone was painting on my face. Anyways, while the cool exfoliant is drying with the steam machine over my face, she massages my feet and lower legs. then uses a warm towel to clear it away. Now that my pores are open, its time for extraction, out come the eye pads and bright light again. This part isn't a lot of fun, but doesn't last long, and beauty is pain, right?!? She uses a foaming cleanser to wash my face after the extraction part and then paints my face and neck with a hydration mask. While the mask is soaking in, she massages my hands and arms, and tells me that I carry tension in my body and she can tell because my limbs don't want to relax and I don't even realize it. Next she massages the hydration mask into my skin and uses pressure points and then wraps a warm towel around my face, leaving breathing room for my mouth and nose. She dabs on some eye cream under my eyes and then a toning/firming spray on my face, pats my face with lotion and then sunscreen. Katie then asked if I would like a scented oil scalp massage, since she knew I'd be running errands later that day and thought I might care if my hair was oily; umm, no I don't care, and yes I'd like that scented oil scalp massage. Before ending my facial, she stretches my neck using a hot towel under my head and gently pulling with each hand, then pushing the hot towel on my shoulders downward. Next my she stretches my arms above my head while I'm still laying down and then helps me sit up and pulls my arms past my toes while I lean forward.

Wow, I can't tell you how much I never want to leave that place! If you ever have a chance you definitely should go there!

Next I indulge myself a little more by going and getting lunch at Chick-fil-A. I get a Chick-fil-A sandwich (which I drench in Polynesian sauce), a cookie parfait, and a large water. As I'm chowing down I remembered one of the nicest compliments a lady once gave me and that was, " you don't look like you eat Chick-fil-A a lot." = )
After spoiling myself for half the day I go to pick up Raegan from daycare, where she's having so much fun playing she doesn't want to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment